To Define a Focus

Living in the city of London, it is difficult not to be inspired. Though I technically don’t live in the city itself – a twenty-five minute train ride south – I never fail to find something to write about when I venture out of my front door.

But what to choose?

What to focus on?

Should I speculate the meaning of life; or write about the little girl sitting opposite me on the train drawing a house with her new colour-changing pen and making everyone in the carriage smile with her running commentary? The choice is so vast, so diverse.

The news brings us so much negative information; an alien watching BBC News 24 would think this planet is full of destruction, death and disease. But if you look, really look, you can see the joy and beauty in anything. Go past the cynicism and criticism that comes so easily to humans and see the world in a positive light. I dare you.

One thing that I love to do the most is eat. Not just any food, but good food. I relish an opportunity to try new things, new tastes. When I go on holiday, it’s mostly for the food. The one thing I could not do at university was eat the same boring meal day in, day out. I had to add something new to each dish, try it a different way. Whether it was honey in a stir fry or orange in spaghetti bolognese (not all combinations were successful), I would do it to keep from eating the same monotonous ‘beans on toast’, ‘pasta and pesto’.

Having recently moved to our great capital (all-be-it on a recently-finished-university budget) I have been spoilt for choice when it comes to eateries: I am in heaven.

So there we have it: the topic for my new blog – POSITIVE restaurant/café/bar reviews. I will not review a restaurant I have not liked or enjoyed to avoid the temptation of inevitable negativity. My reviews will be honest and positive.

Bon appetit!

Thursday 25 October 2012

El Paso, Hoxton


El Paso was the café that inspired me start this blog; that and the suggestion from my partner. The whole atmosphere made me want to grab my pen and write down everything I loved about the place. So I did. One and a half sides of A4 later and I decreed we could leave, despite finishing our meal some time ago.

I am unsure of what category of food to put this little place in. It caters for all in every respect, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner; accommodating workaholics, socialites and artists.You can get breakfast of anything from egg and soldiers to American style pancakes, lunch or dinner ranging from soup to baguettes, chilli and nachos to steak and ribs, with a choice of some mouth-watering deserts to finish. I knew that El Paso was for me when my coke arrived in a glass bottle; for some reason it tastes a million times better in a glass bottle than on tap or in plastic.

Again, where the price is concerned, El Paso caters for all needs. Lunch can be bought for as little as £4, but if you feel like indulging, you can splash out on a bottle of moet and chandon vintage for £78. So, by serving cocktails, soft drinks, beer and hot beverages, El Paso hits every nail square on the head, even complimentary mint imperials with the bill.

The décor is what drew me to the place the most. From the outside, it is unassuming and could easily be passed by – we almost did! But inside is another world entirely: two levels, the top level feels like the attic you used to play in as a kid. Eating in secret in a booth, on a sofa or small table, with one lamp per table creating a dim light. You can spy on the people downstairs through large holes in the walls in the shape of sombreros, guns, cacti and moustaches. Downstairs, you can eat under the stairs, in the window or in comfy swivel chairs. 

It seems El Paso is the perfect place to write or work. Several plug sockets are available for each table and the café has the added bonus every laptop owner wants to see: free Wi-Fi. On our visit, we were surrounded with Apple Macs (No comment on choice of computer…). I only wish it was closer to where we live; I would be in it every day!

Their website informed me that in the basement, there is a room that they hire out as a gallery. It was not open when we were there so I had a peek through the door on my way to the toilets. Quirky, just like the rest of the place. I would highly recommend taking a trip to Old Street station, heading down Old Street itself and finding this fantastic café. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment